Wednesday 17 October 2012

My Wartime Brooches in print!

Many months ago, back in January to be precise, I was contacted by a lovely lady called Helena Russell.  She was working on an article about make do and mend style 1940's jewellery and, having seen photographs of my rather vast brooch collection, asked whether I would send her some to accompany the feature.

Of course, I jumped at the chance and sent over a number of snaps of my most favourite pieces and then didn't think any more about it.  The months swept past and then in September, I was sent a proof of the article and was really pleased with it and how my brooches looked. 

I obviously couldn't share the proof with you until the magazine hit the shops.  Well, today's the day!  My mum and C took a rather soggy trip to WH Smith's this morning, en route to swimming, and picked up a copy of the magazine.  The article was featured in Bead Magazine  and I think the brooches look rather lovely - what do you think?!
























The popularity of these brooches hasn't wained, unfortunately!  They are still commanding ridiculously incredibly high prices on eBay, this last one that I was watching reached over £20 and I don't even think it's that special.


However, if you want the look, but aren't worried about owning an authentic piece, someone, not me I must add, has tried their hand at making their own version and you can get them on eBay here.


Since I did my original post about them, I've been buying more and so far this year have added these 12 to my collection.  Most of them I've shown you before, but I think there are a couple that you haven't seen yet..


Thinking about the brooches and this article, I remembered that when I visited Debach Airfield a couple of years ago, there was a bracelet in the museum which had been made in the same way as these brooches, using the same materials.  It had been donated to the display by someone who had lived in the area during WW2 who believed it had been made by a POW.  I don't know whether the bracelet is still there, and Debach is now closed for the year, but I'll try to get there in the spring to see if I can get a photograph of it.  Have you ever heard of or seen a bracelet made like the brooches?

My mission now: To find one of these bracelets for myself! 

8 comments:

  1. I think you have the most marvellous collection
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, talk about timing! We've just today visited the Eden Camp in Pickering which is now a museum but was a prisoner of war camp opened in 1942. There is a large display in one of the huts of many items made by the POWs and there was a package of coloured wire along with several bangle style bracelets and a brooch.
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hen,
      What a coincidence! Did you by any chance get a photograph? Hope you're having a wonderful time in Pickering. I look forward to seeing your post about it :o)
      Lucy x

      Delete
  3. Lovely jubbly, so nice to see in print... I have never seen a bracelet or bangle before-(though I probably have because I've been to Eden Camp a few times!). I do own a necklace made from the same plastic thread though. T x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A necklace?? I didn't know they existed! Might have to add one of those to my "must find" list! Would love to see a photograph of it sometime :o)

      Delete
  4. Hi Lucy,
    I'm afraid I didn't take a photo, mainly because the bracelets were in a glass topped case, the huts were quite dark, so I thought the flash would reflect badly off the glass. However, should I go again, I will try. I hardly ever see the wire jewellery to buy, I have just one brooch.
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete